Happy holidays everyone! How’s your cookie baking season going? Baking is ton of work but it can kind of relaxing, too, if you take it slow or do it with friends and family. Thumbprint cookies are one of my favorite varieties. They are just so beautiful with the bright colors on top. They’re also easy to make a little bit healthier without compromising taste or texture. I made these cute little Vegan Gem Thumbprint Cookies for you this year. They are simple and turn out fabulously – perfect for a cookie swap or gift. I used both apricot and pomegranate jams to mix it up a bit and they looked like little gems when they are first pulled out of the oven.
I really hope that you enjoy these Vegan Gem Thumbprint Cookies if you try them! Make sure not to miss my other holiday cookies, my No Bake Vegan Chocolate Haystack Cookie Bites. And if you want to know more about vegan baking for the holidays, I have some fun resources for you. I was recently on a podcast with my dear friend, dietitian Mary Purdy and her Mary’s Nutrition Show which you should follow anyhow because she is insanely entertaining. I’m also talking vegan baking with Food&Nutrition magazine and they’ve also got my 8 traditional desserts made vegan friendly on there. Whether you’re entertaining vegan company this holiday season or you have friends or family with food allergies that require vegan baking, I hope these tips make it a little more easy and a little more fun for you.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup softened vegan butter
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup apricot or raspberry jam
- Heat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and butter substitute until fully incorporated and fluffy with air. Add milk, vanilla and almond extracts to wet mixture and blend thoroughly then pour into dry mixture and stir well to create a dough. With your hands, roll 2 Tablespoons of the dough into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until the sheet is full then use your thumb to make a large indentation in the middle of each cookie. Add about a teaspoon of jam to the center of each indentation. Bake for 14-17 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on cooling rack 10-15 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Americana
Ginger Hultin,MS, RD, CSO
Thanks for visiting! If you’re like me: obsessed with eating, wine, going out and traveling, you’re in the right place. Champagne Nutrition® LLC is a Registered Dietitian-run concierge virtual practice helping clients look and feel better. On this blog, you’ll ﬁnd cocktails, mocktails, and plant-based recipes that are easy to make quickly at home and pack for leftovers on your adventures.