Happy Taco Tuesday! Or if you’re me, Vegan Tempeh Taco Tuesday. My friends over at The Recipe Redux are celebrating this special day of the week by encouraging their food bloggers to offer up our favorite taco recipes. Perfect timing; this is one of my favorite 15-minute weeknight meals. When I get home at the end of the day, I can combine the tempeh and spices and let it sit while I change out of my work clothes. I prep the veggies quickly while the tempeh is cooking and get the entire dish on the table in well under 30 minutes.
You’ll notice there aren’t any special sauces or fancy ingredients here – most of the ingredients you may have in your pantry already. Of course you could spice it up by making guac, a sauce, or adding other favorite herbs, spices, veggies and toppings! Mid-week, I need to keep it simple so this is the most basic version of Vegan Tempeh Taco Tuesday. Keep in mind that the possibilities are endless. If I have time, I do like to make my spicy radish pico de gallo or simple spicy guacamole.
Most people are familiar with tofu but tempeh may be more mysterious. Really, tempeh is just fermented soybeans. You can buy it in the refrigerated section of the grocery store next to the tofu. Tempeh is an important vegan/vegetarian protein and is absolutely packed with minerals like calcium, manganese, and copper. It is a rich source of protein, equal to meat, but unlike meat, it is full of antioxidants. Again, unlike meat, tempeh shows up in scientific literature as a support for cardiovascular health and may play a role in preventing certain cancers. At the end of the day, it tastes great and takes on whichever spices you add to it similar to tofu. I hope you have a wonderful start to your week and can enjoy this Vegan Tempeh Taco Tuesday recipe!
- 1 package tempeh 8 oz
- 1 can black beans drained, 15 oz
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium ripe tomato chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 8 hard or soft taco shells
- Crumble tempeh in a medium sized mixing bowl and add beans and spices. Mix well, adding water as needed if mixture is dry (about 1/4 cup). Heat olive oil in a large pan and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add tempeh/black bean mixture, turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, adding water if needed for texture (about 1/4 cup as needed). Serve tempeh tacos with chopped tomato, green cabbage, salsa and any other topping you enjoy over hard or soft shells of your choice.
Ginger Hultin,MS, RD, CSO
Thanks for visiting! If you’re like me: obsessed with eating, wine, going out and traveling, you’re in the right place. Champagne Nutrition® LLC is a Registered Dietitian-run concierge virtual practice helping clients look and feel better. On this blog, you’ll ﬁnd cocktails, mocktails, and plant-based recipes that are easy to make quickly at home and pack for leftovers on your adventures.