Happy Cinco de Mayo and I’m thrilled it’s finally MAY. For the first time today in seven months, I didn’t wear a coat here in Seattle. I always post for Cinco because it’s one of my most favorite food holiday. All holidays really are food holidays to me actually – Thanksgiving, New Years, Valentine’s Day, 4th of July. It’s what I love about holidays. This year I adapted this salsa recipe to include fun flavors and colors plus vibrant, intense paprika dressing to make Smokey Black Bean Pineapple Salsa.
This simple salsa takes just a few minutes to put together. Most of your time is spent chopping and then you just combine everything together and you’re done! The flavors mingle together over time so this Smokey Black Bean Pineapple Salsa makes excellent leftovers. Serve it at a party with chips or crackers or top a piece of grilled salmon with a hearty scoop. Packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber, the natural smokey flavor is a sure crowd-pleaser.
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 stalsk celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed well)
- 8 ounce canned pineapple chunks (drained and roughly chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt freshly ground black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, celery, jalapeño, beans and pineapple in a large mixing bowl and stir well with a wooden mixing spoon. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, paprika, maple syrup, salt and pepper then pour over salsa mixture and stir to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Serve with chips or over grilled salmon.
Ginger Hultin,MS, RD, CSO
Thanks for visiting! If you’re like me: obsessed with eating, wine, going out and traveling, you’re in the right place. Champagne Nutrition® LLC is a Registered Dietitian-run concierge virtual practice helping clients look and feel better. On this blog, you’ll ﬁnd cocktails, mocktails, and plant-based recipes that are easy to make quickly at home and pack for leftovers on your adventures.