If you’re on Instagram or if you eat out…ever, anywhere you’ll be aware of the fancy toast trend. At it’s most simple, avocado toast is a hallmark of the Millenial diet. At it’s most complex, Mermaid toast and other colorful, sparkly, wild-looking options abound. You know I can’t miss out on a food trend so I’m embracing the toast and I made my own to share with you, based on the best thing I’ve ever eaten…ever?: Peach Melba Toast with Thyme and Honey.
The good news is that you can really use whatever kind of bread you have on hand. A nice baguette or french loaf is perfect because the bread is firm and toasts crispy. Ricotta is such a wonderful spread – rich and creamy and balanced with both fat and protein. End-of-summer fruit combines perfectly with sweet honey and savory thyme. A “melba” classically combines peach with raspberry but I’m a rebel and I want to use blackberries this time. Feel free to make it what you want it to be but definitely let me know if you try this sweet, creamy, savory combo.
I was inspired with this recipe from an amazing lunch I had at London Plane in Seattle – down in Pioneer Square. If you’re in the area, you really must go. They had a gigantic piece of toasted whole grain bread on the menu earlier this year spread thick with ricotta and topped with ripe plums. If you were in the Pacific Northwest this fall, you’ll know that plums were dripping from every tree. They drizzled honey too and sprinkled with fresh tarragon. It was totally insane. The point here is – aside from you should go to London Plane – is that you can get creative with toast and use whatever you have on hand to create a beautiful, delicious, healthy portable snack or breakfast.
If you like this toast recipe, be sure to check out my Vegetarian Crostini appetizer – it has some similar ingredients but is more savory and makes a great party app.
- 4 large whole wheat baguette slices (toasted)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (I use part skim but use what you prefer)
- 1 medium-sized ripe peach (sliced thinly )
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries (cut into quarters (getting them a little mashed up is ok!))
- 2 Tablespoons fresh honey
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme (stems removed)
- Place toasted baguette on a cutting board for preparation. Assemble by spreading 1/8 cup of ricotta on each slice. Then place peach slices evenly on each ricotta toast. Top with mashed blackberries, drizzle with honey and garnish with thyme sprigs. Enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Americana, VEGETARIAN
Ginger Hultin,MS, RD, CSO
Thanks for visiting! If you’re like me: obsessed with eating, wine, going out and traveling, you’re in the right place. Champagne Nutrition® LLC is a Registered Dietitian-run concierge virtual practice helping clients look and feel better. On this blog, you’ll ﬁnd cocktails, mocktails, and plant-based recipes that are easy to make quickly at home and pack for leftovers on your adventures.