Happy summer everyone! Summer is salad season for sure but how many can you eat?! In these warmer months, mix it up by eating fresh veggies in a different way. Salad skewers with peanut dressing transport well for bbqs and picnics and is fun for kids and adults alike. One way to get people to eat more veggies is to make them more fun to eat. Bonus: these are so easy to make.
Did you know that current recommendations say we should be eating 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies per day? Many of my clients do a decent job at eating fruit – sometimes even over-eating it by putting 4-5 servings in a smoothie or eating 1/2 a pineapple in a day. Fruit is awesome of course, but veggies have important qualities, too. Vegetables often offer more of a bitter flavor while fruit is intensely sweet so many people are more naturally drawn to it. Studies indicate the benefit of eating more produce. The huge women’s health study of 39876 female health professionals with no previous history of cardiovascular disease or cancer were followed by researchers for 5 years to identify incidence of nonfatal heart attack, stroke, coronary artery disease and death related to cardiovascular incident. After adjustment for age, randomized treatment status, and smoking, they did observe a significant inverse association between fruit and vegetable intake and cardiovascular disease risk. Eating more fruits and veggies have also been linked to reduced cancer risk in studies. So many health reasons to eat these types of foods…aside from the fact that they are delicious and versatile. Simple recipes like salad skewers with peanut dressing are a fun way to increase intake effortlessly.Perfect summertime salad recipe: Salad Skewers with Peanut Sauce Click To Tweet
I have lots of veggie recipes on the blog if you need some inspiration. Check out Spicy Cauliflower Stir Fry with Shrimp and Peanuts, Smokey Black Bean Pineapple Salsa, and vegetarian stuffed mushrooms if you are looking for ways to get more veggies. What are your favorite ways to eat them?
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into small, bite-sized chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup creamy, unsalted peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- One lime, juiced with seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch square piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- For the dressing, combine all of the ingredients except for the cilantro in a blender and process until completely smooth. Add the cilantro and blend for a few seconds until the cilantro is finely chopped. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Using 10 wooden skewers, Skewer cucumber, lettuce and tomatoes then drizzle with dressing or serve on the side for dipping.