I have a childhood memory of the chocolate oat combination bubbling on the stove for no bake chocolate haystack cookies at Christmas. My mom would set them on the counter in long lines on parchment paper and I could eat SO many. Know what they’re typically made out of? Butter and sugar – just like most cookies. So I wanted to make a vegan version this year and I made the most delicious No Bake Vegan Chocolate Haystack Cookie Bites you could imagine. I can’t tell the difference between the regular butter version and this one.
The good news about No Bake Vegan Chocolate Haystack Cookie Bites is that though they are dense in calories, they are quite small – bite-sized – so if you can stick to just 1-2, they can fit easily into a healthy diet. There are some good ingredients in here! Rolled oats for fiber, vitamins and minerals combined with protein-packed peanut butter. Like I mention in the recipe, be sure to get a variety that does not have added sugar, salt or oil. Cocoa powder is packed with antioxidants and minerals like magnesium. So though these are certainly treats….No Bake Vegan Chocolate Haystack Cookie Bites have some good-for-you ingredients, too.
What are some of your holiday cookie memories?
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened/baking cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter (not salt, sugar or oil added)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, combine coconut oil, sugar, almond milk, cocoa powder then bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Once bubbling, boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and add peanut butter, oats, coconut flakes, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine. Drop heaping tablespoons of the batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Let sit at room temperature until cooled and hardened - about 30 minutes.