Tapioca pudding reminds me of being a kid – so does rice pudding. Chia pudding is getting all the credit right now but they’re all really in the same family. If you don’t like the consistency of one, you won’t care for any of them most likely. There are many recipes for tapioca pudding but this end of summer Fresh Lemon Honey Tapioca Pudding is just absolutely delicious I must say.
When you make desserts in mini mason jars, not only are they cute but they are properly portioned. YES I use light coconut milk – I know some people think that is taboo but it cuts a lot of calories and fat and still maintains a light, coconutty flavor. Fresh lemon zested into this dessert brightens the whole thing out and balances the vanilla and coconut. Sweeten with honey – just a little bit. I have this lovely local clover honey I’m using right now. The flavor is so rich and delicious. It tastes like flowers. I love to garnish with blueberries but honestly, any fresh fruit will suit this light dish.
You may know tapioca from delicious bubble tea if you live in places that specialize in that drink (like Seattle). The huge, rubbery black tapioca isn’t always my favorite. I prefer the small sizes ones that are more delicate and create more of a pudding texture. Tapioca is derived from starchy cassava root, native to South America. Used as a thickening agent, it makes sense that balls of tapioca can firm up our favorite sweet pudding or custard and make it ever more creamy and textured.
I really hope you enjoy this brightly flavored Fresh Lemon Honey Tapioca Pudding – it’s my obsession right now. And if you want some other mini-desserts, be sure to try my vegan strawberry rhubarb mini mason jar cheesecakes. These were another huge summer hit!
- 1 14-oz can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup small pearl tapioca (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Small Pearl Tapioca)
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit as a garnish
- 1 14-oz BPA-free can coconut milk 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk 3 tbsp raw honey 1 tbsp lemon zest 1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger 1/8 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup small pearl tapioca (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Small Pearl Tapioca) 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, almond milk, honey, lemon zest, ginger and salt. Stir in tapioca pearls and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- 2. Place saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and tapioca is soft. Stir in vanilla.
- 3. Let pudding cool before transferring it to a container. Pudding will keep, covered in the refrigerator, up to 5 days.