I need easy, healthy go-to breakfasts for my busy weeks. If I’m not prepared, I find myself nabbing breakfast at Starbucks or other coffee shops which is fine but not the healthiest and expensive as well. If you have a few minutes to prep on the weekend, you can so easily put together an oatmeal bake that will last your whole coming week. Some people don’t like overnight oats and others may not have time to prepare oatmeal hot in the morning so this recipe for the Easiest Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal Bake alleviates a lot of pressure from busy work or school days.Easiest Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal Bake #glutenfree #healthybreakfast #oats #dietitiancooking Click To Tweet
Oats are an important part of the diet because they are rich in nutrients and the type of fiber that helps lower cholesterol. Because of their high fiber content, they help keep you full for hours. If you eat oat on their own – maybe with a little sugar on them, you’re eating carbs, carbs and more carbs without balancing with protein and fat. I like this recipe because it includes coconut milk and oil in addition to antioxidant rich blueberries and a protein source: almonds. This took me about 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake.
If you need other simple, healthy breakfasts, check out my Cranberry Almond Chia Granola, Honey-kissed Autumn Cherry Breakfast Quinoa, or Green Iced Tea Breakfast Power Smoothie. Let me know if you try it how it turns out or if you have any adaptations you like to add to your oats!
- 1 egg
- 2 cups reduced fat/lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 6 Tablespoons sliced almonds (unsalted)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and mist an 8x8 square glass baking dish with cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray!). In a mixing bowl, beat egg then add coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Stir in oats, blueberries and almonds and mix well to combine. Spread oatmeal mixture in prepared baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until top is a light toasty brown.