If you need a healthy, whole-food based breakfast that’s nutrient rich and delicious, you’ve got to try these Banana Ginger Oats. Full of complex carbohydrates for sustained energy, this recipe has another benefit: digestion support. My friends at The Recipe Redux are asking us dietitian food bloggers to offer recipes this month that benefit gut health. A healthy GI has been linked to a stronger immune system so as we head into cold and flu season, be sure to feed the billions of bacteria living in your gut that may be helping you out in more ways that you even realize.
Everyone is interested in the gut microbiome these days. Perhaps it’s because there are more bacterial living in your colon than you have human cells in your body (what are they all doing?!). Or perhaps there is research in animal models that suggests a link between gut bacteria and weight, mood, inflammation and other systems. With so much too learn about the gut, there are a few things we know for certain. Gut bacteria make vitamins for us! They make biotin, B12 and vitamin K. Another thing we know is that in order for these bacteria to flourish, they need food and they prefer fiber-rich foods that ferment in the colon.
I made this Banana Ginger Oats recipe with all things gut soothing in mind. Oats are rich in fiber as well as a special plant sugars called beta-glucans that are linked to boosting the immune systems. Banana adds sweetness without refined sugar which irritates the gut. Bananas are rich in fructooligosaccharides which act as a prebiotic and support good bacteria in the digestive system. And ginger famously soothes the stomach and provides a spicy kick to any recipe.A healthy, whole-food based breakfast rich in nutrients and delicious, try these Banana Ginger Oats. Complex carbohydrates for sustained energy and optimal gut health. #thereciperedux Click To Tweet
- 1 small/medium ripe banana
- 1/2 cup whole rolled oats
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Break the banana into pieces and place in a small pot with oats and milk. Bring to a simmer and cook until the milk is absorbed and the oats are thickening.Reduce to low heat and as you stir, mash the bananas up until they're well combined. Add cinnamon, ginger and vanilla and cook until oatmeal is thick. Serve hot and garnish with coconut or chopped nuts.